Plane Diverted To PTIA After Bomb Threat

10:26 PM, Apr 28, 2010   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Greensboro, NC -- A Continental Airlines flight headed to Washington's Dulles Airport was diverted to Piedmont Triad International Airport.

Continental Airline flight 3006 was headed from Houston, Texas to Washington, DC when it landed in Greensboro. The plane left Houston at 7:25 am CST, according to

Airport officials say the flight was forced to land following a bomb threat.

Guilford County Communications say the call came in around 10:20 am. They say the plane landed safely.

Stephanie Freeman, a spokeswoman with PTIA, says all passengers and crew members were safely taken off the plane. Airport authorities say the threat was written on a mirror in the plane's bathroom.

A statement from the Transportation Safety Administration says after the plane landed it was taxied to a remote location where it was met by local law enforcement.

The TSA says that the plane was swept and all bags were rescreened and nothing was found.  The passengers returned to the plane and it departed around 4:15 Wednesday afternoon.

Stay with and WFMY News 2 for updates.

Continental Airlines issued the following statement:

Continental Express flight 3006, operated by ExpressJet Airlines, from Houston to Washington-Dulles diverted to Greensboro, N.C., for security reasons. The flight landed safely, without incident at approximately 10:45 a.m. (EST). The aircraft, a regional jet Embraer-145, carried 45 customers and 3 crew members. Continental and ExpressJet are cooperating with local authorities.

TSA issued the following statement:

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is monitoring a situation where a threatening message was written on a lavatory mirror on board Continental Airlines flight 3006 from Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) to Washington Dulles Airport (IAD). Out of an abundance of caution the flight was diverted to Piedmont Triad International Airport Greensboro (GSO). The plane safely landed at GSO at approximately 10:43 a.m. EDT. The plane taxied to a remote location where it was met by law enforcement.

WFMY News 2

Most Watched Videos