Resources For You & Your Aging Parent

1:50 PM, Feb 28, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Below are phone numbers and websites for you and your aging parent. You can also see video tips of how to have "The Talk" with your parent and why the Power of Attorney Document is so important along with stories on this issue here.

AREA AGENCY ON AGING-- 294-4950 offers information on community providers of senior centers, nursing homes and assisted living. Provides help with advocacy, caregiver support, health & wellness and prescription assistance. (Alamance, Caswell, Davidson, Guilford, Montgomery, Randolph, and Rockingham)

SENIORS HEALTH INSURANCE INFORMATION PROGRAM (SHIIP) 1-800-443-9354. Answers questions and counsels Medicare beneficiaries and caregivers about Medicare, Medicare supplements, Medicare Advantage, Medicare prescription drug plans, long-term care insurance and other health insurance concerns.

A Place for Mom - (866) 633-1077 - Free eldercare referral service assisting families with finding resources such as assisted living communities, Alzheimer's care, skilled nursing homes, retirement communities, residential care homes, home care services, respite and hospice options, etc.

North Carolina's Department of Insurance.  1-800-546-5664.Information on everything from SHIIP, Medicare Part D, Healthcare Reform Changes, etc.

AARP. Online information about everything from healthcare, insurance, health, wellness, money issues, wills, longterm care, driving, etc. Check for seminars and workshops you can watch online.

Guilford County

Seniorline - (336 333-6981 and (336)884-6981 -
Information & referral within Guilford County to seniors and their caregivers.

Support Source - (336) 373-1402 - Offers free information and referral service to over 250 support groups, educational programs, health agencies, and professionals in the mental health field.

Alamance County

Alamance ElderCare, Inc. - (336) 538-8080 -
Information & referral within Alamance County to seniors and their caregivers. 

Davidson County

Davidson County Senior Services -
Information & referral within Davidson County to seniors and their caregivers.

The Life Center Of Davidson County   Offers full and part time care to families in an adult day care health center. it is open M-F 7:15p5:30pm. This is a non-profit United Way Partner.

Forsyth County

Senior Services, Inc. - (336) 724-2040 -
Information & referral within Forsyth County to seniors and their caregivers.

Randolph County

Randolph County Senior Adults Association - (800) 252-2899 -
Information & referral within Randolph County to seniors and their caregivers.

Stokes County

Stokes County Senior Services - (336) 593-8156 -
Information & referral within Stokes County to seniors and their caregivers.

Surry County

Surry County Senior Service - (800) 644-8506 -
Information & referral within Surry County to seniors and their caregivers.

Rockingham County

Rockingham Co. Aging, Disability & Transit Services(formerly known as the Rockingham County Council On Aging) 349-2343 or 342-6714

WFMY News 2

Most Watched Videos