Greensboro Bear Sightings Move Closer To Downtown

7:03 AM, May 30, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Greensboro, NC -- A lot of people thought last week's bear sighting on Battleground Avenue was too far in the city limits for comfort, but now the sightings are getting closer to downtown.

Greensboro police said they received two reports of a bear early Monday morning. The first was about 12:25 a.m. at West Friendly Avenue and North Tremont Street. About 30 minutes later, another sighting was reported along Pembroke Road. That's about half of a mile from the first.

More sightings were reported Sunday morning, but on the opposite side of downtown Greensboro. Police went to the area along Highway 29 near Florida and Market Streets around 6:20 a.m. Sunday. Officers saw a bear run into the woods. That's about five miles from Monday's sightings.

Wildlife officials haven't confirmed or denied if they believe the sightings involve the same bear.

George Strader, a wildlife official, said tranquilizing a bear would put the bear and more people at risk. He said it can take more than five minutes for a tranquilizer to kick in and a lot can happen in that time.

Strader said everyone should leave bears alone, keep food inside and report any sightings. Report the sighting to the Wildlife Commission at 919-707-0030.

SLIDESHOWS: -- Bear slideshow 1 -- Bear slideshow 2

Bear Sightings Timeline

A bear was first seen on Saturday, May 21 in Country Park. Shortly after that, it was seen in the New Garden/Battleground Avenue area. Police started receiving calls after 5:00 p.m.

Sunday, May 22, the bear was actually spotted in a tree in Bryan Cleveland's backyard on Quail Drive. Animal Control and police responded to the home around 11:00 a.m. Sunday. They believe Cleveland's barking dog scared the bear. The bear eventually came out of the tree and took off.

Monday, May 23, there were a few sightings but the bear stayed on the move.

Tuesday, May 24, around 10:00 a.m, the now famous Greensboro black bear was spotted again on Battleground Avenue. This time, the bear planted himself up a tree off Albright Street.

The scene became such a spectacle police were dispatched to help with traffic and crowd control. The bear moved to another tree where it stayed for hours. Some people were taking pictures, others were bringing children to get a peek at the black bear up a tree.

Greensboro Police consulted with NC Wildlife who made their position on the bear issue clear -- they were not getting involved unless the bear was being aggressive.

Wednesday, May 25, there were more bear sightings and WFMY News 2 got the same response from NC Wildlife about tranquilizing the bear and relocating it. "Unless, it's being aggressive, they will not respond and do anything to the bear."

Thursday, May 26, no sightings were reported to police or WFMY News 2.

Friday, May 27, a bear was spotted in the Lake Jeanette area, near the Canterbury School. School officials were put on alert, but no other sightings were reported.

Saturday, May 28, no sightings were reported.

Sunday, May 29, a bear was spotted in east Greensboro off Highway 29 north, near Florida and Market Streets. Responding officers also saw the bear that ran off into the woods.

Again around 9:15 a.m. Sunday, a caller told WFMY News 2 he saw a bear on the train tracks off Benbow and Gillispie Streets. Police were already on the scene to investigate the latest sighting.

Monday, May 30, a bear was spotted around 12:25 a.m. near Friendly Avenue and Tremont Drive. Another sighting was reported about 30 minutes later along Pembroke Road.

View Greensboro Bear Sightings in a larger map

WFMY News 2

Most Watched Videos