Shooting Suspect Barricaded In Home Taken Into Custody

10:21 PM, Jan 31, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Greensboro, NC --  Greensboro police have arrested the man who held them in a standoff for more than 14 hours, following what investigators describe as a pre-dawn exchange of gunfire with an officer.

SLIDESHOW: Photos from Westdale Place standoff

The standoff even caused a two hour delay in school for students, staff and Our Lady of Grace Catholic School on W. Market St.

It ended after Special Response Team officers took Jimmy Burleson, 41, into custody around 7:45 p.m.  Burleson had been holed up in a house on Westdale Place since just after 5 a.m.

Police were able to arrest Burleson after releasing a K9 onto his porch as he sat in a rocking chair.  Chief Miller said Burleson ran  into his house to get away from the dog and that's when officers followed and tackled him. A small struggle took place until officers were able to gain control of him and handcuff him.

Miller said Burleson did receive a bite from the K9 and was treated at a local hospital. After his release, Miller said Burleson will be taken to a facility for a mental evaluation.

Miller said Burleson remained nude throughout the standoff.

How It Started

Officers were first called to a house on Westdale Place around 5 a.m. on a call of a disturbed individual. When officers arrived, they encountered Burleson on the porch of the home.

Greensboro Police Department Chief Ken Miller said Burleson went back into the home and fired several shots. He then came back onto the porch and fired at Sr Officer C. Stevens, Jr, hitting the officer's car.  Stevens returned fire and Miller said nobody was hit, but several bullets pierced the officer's car.

Burleson again went back into the home and held police at a standoff until they arrested 15 hours later.

The Greensboro Special Response Team and Hostage Negotiation Team were called to the scene. Miller said the the Special Response Team was relieved mid-afternoon by officers from High Point and the hostage team was relieved by Guilford County Sheriff's deputies.

During the standoff, Greensboro police blocked Walker Avenue between Elam Avenue and Lindell Road. Miller said officers evacuated between 15-20 homes in the area.

In an afternoon update with reporters, Greensboro Police Chief Ken Miller said they are communicating on and off with the suspect that barricaded himself in a home on Westdale Place.  There is a robot in the house which is their only means of communication with the suspect.

Efforts To End The Standoff

Police launched tear gas into the house in the standoff's early hours, but Miller said the suspect was able to withstand it and remain inside.

Miller said the suspect told officers he armed with an assault rifle. The man lived alone, Chief Miller said, and no one else was in the house with him. Two dogs were able to escape the home safely.

Investigators used a robot to communicate with the suspect. The robot blew down the man's door and entered the home. Greenboro's Police Robot's battery died so they called for Winston-Salem's PD Robot.

The Greensboro Police Department that other police departments, emergency workers and other organizations for their support and services:

-- Greensboro Fire Department and Guilford County Emergency Medical Services
-- High Point police provided its Special Response Team to relieve Greensboro's team, in accordance with the two agencies' mutual aide agreement
-- UNC-G Police Department performed perimeter security and traffic control earlier in the day
-- Winston-Salem Police Department through the loan of an additional robot and its operator
-- The American Red Cross for food and assistance with evacuated residents
-- Lindley Baptist Church for the generous use of their facility and parking


 Brandon Pierce shot this video shortly after the shooting.

Most Watched Videos