UPS expects to have the busiest holiday delivery season ever. There are programs and information you need to know to avoid package theft.
300 packages per second.
That's how many packages UPS will deliver during this year's holiday shopping peak. This will be the busiest holiday delivery season in the company's history.
When you consider all the online shopping we do now, it's not all that surprising.
But door-step delivery can also be a crime of opportunity for the bad guys. There are ways to prevent holiday package theft.
High Point Police Captain Mike Kirk said, "We will remind the patrol officers that during the holiday season, we do see an increase in potential burglaries and people trying to pick up packages so just be extra careful to watch houses."
News 2 talked with several of the Triad's local police departments on Tuesday. While, their patrol teams are paying extra attention to residential areas, they're more concentrated on holiday crime around businesses. There are ways to protect yourself:
FedEx sent News 2 this information:
Before you ship, choose the right service for your needs:
- Ship the package to a location where you know someone will be available to receive it. For example, ship to your work address, or to a trusted neighbor or a loved one.
- Send any FedEx package directly to a FedEx Office location (FedEx Office is the former Kinko's). If using FedEx Express, you can also have it held for pickup at one of our stations. Customers can look up FedEx Office and FedEx Express station locations on our website at: www.fedex.com under Ship then Find FedEx Locations.
- Choose one of the premium services offered by FedEx Ground. If using FedEx Ground Home Delivery, go online to request evening delivery, date-certain delivery or even make an appointment for a specific delivery time. Check the Service Guide on the FedEx website for more information.
- Consider selecting the "signature required" option. This means FedEx will only leave your package if someone there to sign for it.
After the package is on its way:
- Even after a package is en route, you can redirect it to a nearby FedEx location for pickup. Just go to fedex.com and enter the tracking number or call 1-800-GO-FEDEX to request this option. It's available with Express, Ground and Home Delivery shipments.
UPS sent News 2 this information:
- A great service for the holidays is UPS My Choice
- It can help consumers decide when and how their packages are delivered.
- When consumers sign up they will receive an email or text message the day before their packages are delivered.
- If that time doesn't work or they won't be home - they can reschedule the delivery for another day or they can reroute the package to work, or to a relative who is home to receive the delivery.
- Another option is to have the package rerouted to their local The UPS Store. Those centers will hold the package until the consumer can go and pick it up.
- Consumers can always change your delivery address on UPS.com or by calling 1-800-PICK-UPS.
- Consumers can also request our signature required service - our UPS drivers will not deliver the package until they receive an adult signature
Stories You May Like:
READ: UNC Football Coach Interviewed By University Of Tennessee
READ: Driver Crashes On Church Property; One Injured
GALLERY: 20 Iconic Photos Of Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge
GALLERY: The 2012 Greensboro Jaycees Holiday Parade
GALLERY: Holiday Lights Across The Triad
SPECIAL WFMY HOLIDAY SECTION
7 DAY FORECAST
Sources: FedEx/UPS/WFMY News 2