GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Local law enforcement agencies will launch a traffic safety campaign on Battleground Avenue Tuesday morning, in an effort that has been redirected after the success of a similar campaign on Wendover Avenue last year.
The Greensboro Police Department said starting at 7 a.m., there will be increased law enforcement presence (in both marked and unmarked patrol vehicles) on Battleground Avenue between Cornwallis Drive and Horse Pen Creek Road. The campaign, dubbed the "Traffic Safety Enforcement Initiative," will continue for the next eight weeks. Officer Tim Tepedino said during the campaign, the Greensboro Police Department, Department of Transportation and other agencies will have a constant presence on the road and will issue citations to safety violators.
Tepedino said he suspects the most common driving violations on Battleground Avenue will be failure to see before starting (pulling out onto the roadway without looking), driver inattention and following too closely. He said many people cannot visualize, and thus fail to put to practice, keeping adequate distance between their cars and the cars in front of them. Tepedino said officers also will be looking carefully for drivers who fail to wear their seatbelts.
According to the Greensboro Police Department, in the year and a half leading up to September 2013, the total property damage caused by car crashes on Battleground Avenue was just under $1.5 million. During that time, there were 372 crashes on the road. Forty three of those crashes happened at the intersection of Westridge Road, 25 occurred at Brassfield Road and 23 occurred at Edney Road. The average crash damage value was $4,000.
In discussing the basis for launching the campaign on Battleground Ave, the Greensboro Police Department cited the success of the similar campaign on Wendover Avenue, which was known as the "zero tolerance enforcement policy." The eight-week initiative, which concluded in early October, resulted in 947 citations--primarily for speeding and drivers' failure to wear seatbelts. Overall, the police department said the campaign on Wendover decreased accident severity and injuries.
Following the eight-week initiative, the Greensboro Police Department said it will continue to crackdown on reckless driving by periodically sustaining the initiative. Following the conclusion of the Wendover Avenue campaign, Greensboro Police Department officer J. Brian Price said other roadways considered for enforcement campaigns (in addition to Battleground) include Friendly Avenue, Market Street and High Point Road.
Join the WFMY News 2 Good Morning Show Tuesday for live coverage of the Battleground Avenue traffic safety initiative launch. Follow WFMY News 2's Meghann Mollerus on Twitter for updates -- @meghannmollerus.
WFMY News 2
WFMY News 2